Thursday, July 07, 2005

A Lesson in the Box




























Kai sitting in his favorite box and reading his favorite book. How sweet! He loves this darn box so much. It is amazing how content children can be with such a simple object. This box was given to us by his Papa Pat. It has advantage stickers all over it and at first I was just using it as storage for less used toys and then I decided to bring it out into the living room to store the toys he plays with most. Well, everyday I put out this silly box full of his toys and everyday he empties the toys and gets in His Advantage Box and sits in there. He loves it, why I am not sure but I don't care so long as he is having fun.

We could so learn from little children. Here he is day in and day out playing in this box totally satisfied with it and not desiring anything more. How many things do I look at through out my day with disatifaction. To many I am afraid and not only is he content but he has found joy in this box. Obviously or he would not go to it laughing pull up on it and then look at me with a big grin and then proceed to play with it. Hebrews 13:5 says ".....to be content with what you have........" Am I content with what I have, on the surface I would say yes but take a look inside am I really. Do I find joy in my contentment? if not then am I really content. How could I be satisfied with something if I did not find joy in? Contentment I think has been misused greatly. Often I think we use it when we are not satisfied with something we are told to be content with it. What does that mean? If you don't like what you have just settle for it. Is that what god tells us, settle with what you have because it is all you have and you can't get anything else? No, He says to be content, to be satisfied, and to find joy in what you have. To be continued.......so let's do just that, be content. Let's be like little babies and find joy in such simple things such as boxes. When we look around let us be content, happy and thankful for what we do have and let's praise God for giving them to us.


~keli~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Keli,
Lindafisk from Ph here. Great story on contentment, I have been working on that over the past few years! I know you all are moving out this way soon and I hope you like it! Keep us all posted about your house selling and thanks for the great blog! Linda