Sunday, May 22, 2005

Sunday

Sunday is always a pretty stressful day for us. I always have the best intentions the night before. Every Saturday night I set my alarm for 6:00 am with the intentions of getting up and starting the coffee, making a good breakfast, getting everyones clothes ready for church, eating breakfast, get dressed and have time to pray and clean up before 9:00 am class time. In reality my alarm goes off at 6:00 and I pust snooze as many times as it takes till it is 7:00 by then I figure we better get up or we are not going to make it. I forget about the coffee idea and instead go sit on the couch to watch the one eye monster! About 15 minutes later I start getting everyone up to eat breakfast, cereal, and then we all sit and eat for about 15-30 minutes. It is well 8:00 and no body has even started to get dressed yet, the thoughts of are we going to be able to make it, should we skip class run through my mind but I push past them into determination of making it to class. By 8:50 we are all almost ready, all we have left are the finishing touches but for 4 people that is more than 10 minutes worth. So it is 9:10 and we are finally rushing out the door with the thoughts of better late then not going at all. On the way the words I say every Sunday morning "Next Sunday we are going to get up earlier! This is ridiculous!"

I am thinking wow haven't we missed the whole point of what Sunday is all about and doesn't God deserve more than this? Yes, of course no question. So why, I wonder do we continue to do this Sunday after Sunday after Sunday! Selfishness and more selfishness, this is why and something that I have been dealing with lately. How selfish of me to lay in bed and keep pushing the snooze button the only person I am thinking about is ME, when I should be thinking about CHRIST my savior and Lord. This is HIS day, not mine. Every Sunday morning my mindframe should be today is HIS and me and my family will Honor HIM today and surrender this day completely to HIM. He deserves for us to, on this one day give everything in our hearts and minds to HIM. Sunday should be a day when we look at everything around us and everything we are doing as a gift to the Lord and a gift from the Lord. I know that everyday should be this way, but on Sunday, the Lords Day I think we should really soak it all up and really give thanks to HIM by recognizing HIM in everything. I suggest that Sunday should not be thought of as a drudgery day full of things to do and people to see but as a day of full of God's sunlight. It should be the Friday in the week, the sunshine after the rain, not just the day before the dreaded Monday. I know that a lot of times that is how I think of Sunday. I encourage us to submit this day to the Lord by enjoying it in Him by praising Him with love and adortion. Let's look forward to Sunday as much as Friday. Let's remember Christ on the cross, HIS blood, God's love for us that HE gave HIS son for us. How about we give HIM thanks all day with joy and love in our hearts. I think we can do that, and I know that He deserves that and much more like letting it spill over into the week.

No comments: